Measured Group Theory (MGT) studies groups through their measurable actions. It investigates classification, rigidity and invariants of (actions of) discrete countable or locally compact groups and the ways these are encoded in the orbit structures of the actions. The subject started with Gromov who suggested the notion of measured equivalence as a common framework to relate and better understand the family of (cocompact and non-cocompact) lattices in a fixed Lie group. In the last 20 years, MGT has been developed intensely. It has also established new and sometimes quite unexpected connections between various areas, including geometric group theory, von Neumann algebras, asymptotic group theory, descriptive set theory, percolation on graphs and graph convergence.
Mini Course by Lev Glebsky (U Autonoma de San Luis Potosi, Mexico): On the Graham Higman group: January 20, 22, 27 and 29, 2016, 10:00 - 12:00 a.m., Schedule plus Abstracts (pdf)
- January 28,1016, 10:00 a.m.: Yuri Neretin (U Vienna / U Moscow) "Groups of hierarchomorphisms of trees and related Hilbert spaces" Announcement (pdf)
- February 18, 2016, 5:00 p.m.: Erwin Schrödinger Lecture by Alex Lubotzky (Hebrew U & ETH Zurich) "Ramanujan complexes and topological expanders" Flyer (pdf)
- February 23, 2016, 1:00 p.m.: Anatoly Vershik (Steklov Institute / State U St. Petersburg) "The absolute boundary of the random walks on the groups and graphs" Flyer (pdf)
- February 24, 2016, 3:00 p.m.: Matteo Cavaleri (U Rome / U Vienna) "Computability of Følner sets and sofic approximations" Flyer (pdf)
- March 1, 2016, 10:30 a.m.: John Wilson (U Oxford) "Informal talk on profinite groups" Flyer (pdf)
- March 3, 2016, 2:00 p.m.: Thomas Schick (U Göttingen) "Strange values of L2-Betti numbers for positive characteristic" Flyer (pdf)
- March 9, 2016, 1:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.: Rudolf Zeidler (U Göttingen) "Secondary index theory, positive scalar curvature and torsion in the fundamental group" Flyer (pdf)
Winter School: February 1 - 12, 2016 (Poster)
Conference: February 15 - 19, 2016:
- Monday, February 15, 2016: Schedule (pdf)
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: Schedule (pdf)
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016: Schedule (pdf)
- Thursday, February 18, 2016: Schedule (pdf)
- Friday, February 19, 2016: Schedule (pdf)
Mini Course by Łukasz Garncarek (U Warsaw): Property of Rapid Decay: March 14 and March 16, 2016, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Flyer (pdf)
This event has no subevents associated to it.
There is currently no participant information available for this event.